Historic New Carlisle, Inc.
Preserving the Past for Our Future...
Jeremiah was very involved in the affairs of New Carlisle. In 1852 he deeded land to school district No. 3 for a public school building for $25.00. He was elected Vice-President of the association which established the Carlisle Collegiate Institute, and donated a lot to build the first Methodist Church parsonage in 1854. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and the A.F & A.M. Lodge No. 204.
By the late 1890’s, the fortunes of the Service family changed. In 1898 the Service and Son bank burned to the ground along with much of the community’s money. Because of the integrity of both Jeremiah and George, and their vow to pay back every cent lost, along with George’s over-extension in the grain business, the Service family came close to financial ruin. Jeremiah died that same year. Sarah continued to live in the house until her death in 1901. The home was sold that same year for $3,750 to Guy Clement Carpenter and his wife, Arvilla Egbert Carpenter. The Carpenters son-in-law Charles Wade Holloway was related to Jeremiah and Sarah’s son John Charles Service.
The Carpenters died in 1927-1928 leaving the house to their daughter Grace Maude (Carpenter) Holloway and her husband, Charles Wade Holloway. The Holloway’s daughter Helene Holloway Beitner, and her son, Charles lived with them for 12 years after Helene and her husband, Robert L. Beitner divorced. Helene’s brother Jack was still in school and also living with them. During World War II, Jack’s wife Ava shared the house with her in-laws while her husband was serving in the armed forces. Grace Holloway died in 1944 followed by her husband Charles in 1950. After Grace passed away, her husband Charles sold the home in 1948 and moved to a smaller home in New Carlisle.
Charles Wade Holloway’s mother, Mary Elizabeth (Wade) Holloway was a first cousin to Lydia (Wade) Service, wife of John Charles Service (youngest son of the builder). Thus, the house stayed within the related family for a total of 88 years.
Subsequent OwnersThe next owner was Dr. Frances Jennings Vurpillat, South Bend physician and avid art collector, and his wife Helen. Although Dr. Vurpillat never lived in the Old Republic, his son John (Jack) and wife Cathy lived in the summer kitchen area of the home for about three years. They eventually bought the house in 1965 for $25,000 including 13 acres. John died only three years after becoming the owner. During the nearly 20 years of Vurpillat family ownership the house was divided into three apartments to accommodate renters. Although the historic home was known for many years as Oak Hill Stock Farm, or the "House on the Hill", it was often referred to as the Holloway House from the 1930s through the 1950s. There is no documentation as to when or how the house became known as the "Old Republic."
History Page 1 | History Page 3